“Creating beautiful gardens full of ideas for growing food and ourselves alongside nature.”
Our Eco-Garden is just
outside the village of Newlyn East in Cornwall, whose founding saint, Newlina had legendary green fingers! The legend tells how Newlina walked to the top of the hill, where the village is built and planted her walking stick in the ground. The stick grew roots and shoots and became a Fig tree which you can still see growing out of the church wall to this day. In her enclosure she grew edible and useful plants of many kinds.
Since 2005 we have been growing edible and useful plants on this site eco-logically. We believe it is vital to find sustainable ways of growing what we humans need; ways which offer enough space for other species to thrive too!
The old maxim of ACT LOCAL: THINK GLOBAL is very close to our heart!
Of course, the fact that we only supply customers within 15 miles, is the first reason we are eco-logical. We grow produce to order for ethical local businesses such as Fifteen Cornwall and Red Hotels as well as the Cornish Food Box Company and many local grocery shops so we keep food miles to a minimum.
Then with every choice we make, we take the eco-logical option. So to control pests we have planted and built habitats for pest controllers; Our hedges and woods are now full of bird life, who love to eat the aphids and caterpillars before they destroy our crops. Instead of using artificial fertilizers we have improved our soils over the years with beneficial bacteria, wholesome organic matter and eco-logical treatments. The soils are healthy and so are the vegetables that grow in them- full of minerals and vitamins that are missing from depleted soils. We reduce water use with drip-lines and source degradable groundcovers and packaging so we reduce waste and don’t use up too many precious resources.
“Green Ways To Grow” Eco-Events!
With all our ideas about “green ways to grow” plants and our backgrounds in Outdoor Education and Play-work, we have come up with some green ways to grow people too!
- Eco-Events planned here at the Eco-garden so far are:
- Beginners Eco-gardening Courses, Learn about greener ways to grow food.
- Fire-side Story Suppers. Be fed with delights- for the taste-buds and the imagination.
- Wild Craft Play about and make things with natural materials- plants, wood or clay.
- We offer Bespoke Sessions both at the Eco-Garden and at other venues for Individuals, Schools, Festivals and Businesses. We tailor the session to your needs. Whether it’s a Children’s Eco-Party, Local Stories for an Arts Festival, a School Group Learning about Life-cycles or a Business who wishes to have a Forage and Feast. We can include all kinds of fun Interactive eco-activities for every Season and for all age-groups. Sustainable Food Growing, Foraging and tasting from our range of edible plants, Habitat-making, Nature Trails, Food-web games, Scavenger Hunts, Wild Crafts, Recycled Percussion Sessions, inspiring Stories about the Natural World and Fire-side cook-ups to name but a few.
- You can also join our Wild Garden Group- for local people to get involved with creating a beautiful Wild Garden- bringing your skills and inspiration as well as learning a thing or two and taking away plants for your own garden. It’s all about creating a nice space to be in the outdoors, sat having a snack and a chat around the fire or playing outdoor games, away from the stresses of modern life.
To find out more about our “Green Ways To Grow” Events or to book your own Event with us!
- Contact us via our Contact Page.
- Check out our Face-book Page by clicking on the link at the top right of this page.